The Ivory Coast also known as Cote d’Ivoire – was a French Colony until 1960. After it gained independence, it fell into civil war in 2002. After its independence from France in 1960, the Ivory Coast was peaceful and prosperous for more than 30 years. The agreement between the government and the rebels brought back peace to the country.
1. The capital city of Ivory Coast is Yamoussoukro.
2. Abidjan is currently the largest city in Ivory Coast. It used to be the country’s capital city.
3. 20.2 million people live in the Ivory Coast.
4. The country has 124,502 square miles of land.
5. The official language of Ivory Coast is French but many of their local languages are still used like Dioula, Baoule, Dan and Anyin.
6. Most people are Christian, Muslim, or follow a native religion.
7. The life expectancy is 57 years.
8. 47 percent of adults can read.
Source: Easy Science For kids