You might know already that South Africa has 11 official languages, but here are lesser known facts about this friendly and fascination country.
1. South Africa is now the only country in the world to have hosted the Soccer, Cricket and Rugby World Cup!
2. Table Mountain in Cape Town is believed to be one of the oldest mountains in the world and one of the planet’s 12 main energy centres, radiating magnetic, electric or spiritual energy.
3. The Cape Floral Kingdom is one of the world’s six floral kingdoms and the only one which is wholly contained within a single country.
4. Some countries have deserts; some have subtropical forests, right? South Africa has: deserts, wetlands, grasslands, bush, subtropical forests, mountains and escarpments.
5. South Africa’s drinking water is rated 3rd best in the world for being “safe and ready to drink”.
6. Water is not all there is to drink in this thirsty country! South Africa’s Cape Winelands have around 560 wineries and 4 400 primary producers. Included in the Cape Winelands region is Route 62, considered the longest wine route in the world. That alone is good reason to visit South Africa if you haven’t yet been!
7. What about beer? South African brewery SABMiller ranks by volume – as the largest brewing company in the world. Saffers love their beer…but the real reason the brewery is so big? SABMiller also supplies up to 50% of China’s beer.
8. South Africa is the only country in the entire world that has voluntarily abandoned its nuclear weapons programme.