1. Botswana gained independence on the 30 September 1966 making this year the 51st year of independence.
2. In 2016 the United Nations Economic & Social Council nominated current president Ian Khama as the best president in the world.
3. Diamonds were first discovered in Botswana in 1967, one year after gaining independence.
4. Today Botswana is one of the largest diamond producing countries in the world with the world’s richest diamond mine in Jwaneng.
5. Botswana has a high end, low impact tourism business model which important ensures the protection of the countries precious natural recourses while placing the tourism industry as one of the countries top income providers.
6. Botswana has maintained one of the world's highest economic growth rates since independence in 1966
7. Botswana transformed itself from one of the poorest countries in the world to a middle-income country with a per capita GDP of $17,700 in 2015
8. In October 2015 President Ian KHAMA announced a stimulus plan to boost the economy through projects in agricultural production, construction, manufacturing, and tourism development.